Learn Now Music, Inc.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

More of your questions being answered: My child wants to play one instrument and I want them to play another. What do I do?

My child wants to play one instrument and I want them to play another. What do I do?

From anonymous in Great Falls, VA


Another great question! Here is the rule of thumb. If your child has a strong preference towards a specific instrument, don't fight it. The only thing you want to make sure is that the instrument is age appropriate (example: they may LOVE the tuba at age 5 but would not be able to hold it up! :) )

Remember this is their musical experience and they need room to be able to explore. Just because they try one instrument now does not mean they will never try another. In fact, it’s just the opposite. Most children who have played one instrument with confidence and success will be more open and willing to try out new instruments in the future. The best way to create that success and confidence is to support and embrace their unique interests!

Keep sending in your questions!

Happy practicing!

Shelly




1 comment:

  1. I was just having this problem and thanks for this post. It's hard sometimes to let go of my own experiences and let him have his own. OK - so I guess I'll be hearing a violin in the house soon - even though we already have a piano... :)

    Thanks. Jenna

    ReplyDelete