Learn Now Music, Inc.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Review - and Interview IMAX movie - Grand Canyon - River at Risk

NEW IMAX FILM GRAND CANYON ADVENTURE: RIVER AT RISK 3D

WHERE:
National Museum of Natural History
Johnson IMAX Theater
10th and Constitution Avenue N.W.


Wade Davis is an Explorer-in-Residence at the National Geographic Society. Named by the NGS as one of the Explorers for the Millennium, he has been described as “a rare combination of scientist, scholar, poet and passionate defender of all of life’s diversity.”


The Music Momma had the pleasure of interviewing Mr. Davis before viewing this extraordinary film!

Here are highlights from that interview:

Music Momma (MM) - "Tell me about your childhood...were you always an explorer?"

Wade David (WD) - "...I was really luck growing up. My family encouraged me and never placed limits on what I could accomplish. .....I grew up fighting forest fires as a young man and having many adventures. ....My parents sent me to Columbia for 8 weeks when I was 14. We came from modest surroundings. ....My parents paid half their savings to send me to Harvard....."

MM - "Did you have a mentor in college?"

WD - "Yes. At Harvard I met Richard M. Schultes. At 18 I went to him and said I want to go to the Amazon. All he said was, "When do you want to go?" He became my mentor and surrogate father and helped me all the way through my PhD. He was a wonderful teacher. He believed there are no limits and creativity does not exist in the abstract. It is, instead, a consequence of action. He did not guide you. He simply gave you the keys to heaven. I wrote his biography years later, "One River" which he kept next to his bed in his older years and referred to it often..."

MM - "Do you have advice for parents?"

WD - "Send your kids on new adventures and allow them to experience. More often than not, the experience will be positive as they are so wide open and that becomes a way they look at life in the future..."

The Movie was a spectacular combination of a family story interwoven with the majesty of the land and water. The images were breath taking and with the film playing on the largest IMAX screen in the DC area it's a fantastic and memorable experience!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment